Welcome to Szarvas 2017. augusztus 21. | 07:08
Welcome to Szarvas
History of Szarvas
During the Turkish period, a plank castle was built for the protection of the Hármas-Körös (river) crossing. The castle had become important for the river crossing and changed rulers several times. It was finally destroyed in 1686. After the Turkish conquest, the settlement and its area became uninhabited wilderness.
The city's new history dates back to 1722, when the new landlord Baron Harruckern immigrated here Slovakian peasants from the Upland region of the country. The reborn township became a market town in 1723, but it was only in the late 18th century when a more intense development took place. At the turn of the 18th to 19th century a significant progress was made leaded by a Lutheran priest Samuel Tessedik, the most decisive figure in the city's recent history. The town is still thankful to the Lutheran pastor, the agricultural reformer Samuel Tessedik. The well-trained pastor blossomed the young market town, as he founded the first School of Economics in Europe here at Szarvas. He worked out, among other things, the method of repairing barren lands and introduced the most modern farming techniques to the inhabitants of the city. He built the even now existing school building (now functioning as a museum) and the Evangelical Old Church. With his large-scale construction and town-planning work he has significantly transformed the rather disordered cityscape, replacing the former irregular streets with a conscientiously designed, regular chessboard street network.
Another important event in the development of the city is the establishment of the secondary grammar school in Szarvas in 1834. Over the years this reputable institution has taught many prominent statesmen. Among other professors Péter Vajda, a polyhistor of the Reform Age, Mór Ballagi (Bloch), Ágost Greguss and István Koren botanist also taught here. The most famous directors of the school are István Tatay, Gyula Benka, and Jenő Naumann (writer of the town history).
The Count Bolza family played a determinative role in the 19th century life of Szarvas. Mansions, the dry mill, the Anna Park were built on the banks of the Körös River and the Pepi Garden named after Count Joseph Bolza, today called Szarvas Arboretum, which is now the most beautiful and most famous attraction of Szarvas.
Lipót Réthy created the first printing company in Békés County in Szarvas in 1847. During the 1848 War of Independence the city of Szarvas (because of the separation of the neighbouring villages) lost its town title in 1872, and has only became a city again in 1967. The town was always agricultural settlement and this determined its 20th century development too. During the railway construction between 1880-1893 only a branch line was built here.
After the Second World War education and research became the most important factor in the life of the city. The Irrigation Research Institute and the Aquaculture Research Institute (the two research institutes merged under the name HAKI) and the Tessedik Sámuel College's Teacher Training Institute and the Faculty of Agricultural Water and Environmental Management are the major institutions working here and making Szarvas Békés- County's intellectual centre. Nowadays Szarvas is one of the most important academic and scientific centres in Békés County.
The city has always been able to give outstanding personalities to the country. Beside respected researchers (eg. Tibor Mendol), Mihaly Székely was one of the first Hungarian pilots, dr. János Melich linguist, Géza Gyóni poet, György Ruzicskay painter, or Gábor Kemény professor are well known local personalities countrywide. Here was born the celebrated opera singer György Melis and also the significant figure of contemporary Hebrew poetry, Kámár Jáoz-Kest (Péter Keszt).
MUNICIPALITY OF SZARVAS5540 Szarvas, Szabadság út 36.
Phone: +36 66/311-122
Fax: +36 66/311-704
MAYOR'S OFFICEPhone: +36 66/311-490
Fax: +36 66/210-063
CCTV CALL DUTY5540 Szarvas, Petőfi u. 12.
Phone: +36 20/539-4929, +36 20/484-6690